med school mumblings...

Sunday, September 26, 2004

i got my panasonic x70 last night. it's weird. in the afternoon i was bored from looking at my lecture notes (yeah, after like ten minutes) so i decided to take out that cute korean thingy kane and von gave me two years ago after the choir olympics. it took me a while coz the thread got stuck. then i decided to take a photo of my phone, assembled and disassembled. little did i expect to give i up so soon; i had been planning to purchase it on friday, but the kind staff at compasspoint hello shop got approval from her manager to count me as twenty one months since it was only five days away. so that's how i got it.


if you're wondering what's this got to do with med school, well, five minutes after i reached home, someone knocked on our door. i answered it, and it was a young girl with a huge bluish-black patch over her right eye, telling me that her dad just recently lost his job and is now wheelchair bound, and she asked me to buy some packets of nuts. my dad decided to buy two packets.


the incident left me thinking, i had just spend two hundred dollars on a mobile phone, and here was this girl who would have better use for that money than i. it made me feel so guilty about spending money this way. then i was reminded about the amount of money my parents are spending on my education, just so that perhaps, just maybe, i'll be able to make a better living than they did. and i'm beginning to understand the implications of being a doctor, to have the ability and knowledge to help a person in a way most people can't. and i'm grateful for it really, since i've always wanted to join doctors without borders. but i'm not even one-fifth of the way yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home